Re: Censorship in Debian

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> writes:

> On the other hand, the IETF seems to do just fine - with a much larger
> base of participants, and a lot more room for discussion and debate on
> contentious issues.  Global infrastructure, with distributed ownership,
> lots of stakeholders, all held together by agreements, with the decision
> processes open to pretty much anybody who shows up.  The process puts
> pretty much everyone else to shame - with lots to be learned from it.

Speaking as someone who is a listed author on three published RFCs and
chaired one IETF working group, I will take Debian process over IETF
process any day, and find your description of the IETF pretty
entertaining.  :)

Also, please note that many IETF participants are paid as part of their
job to participate in the IETF.  (We keep coming back to that.)  That's
true of some Debian contributors as well, of course, but I strongly
suspect the percentage is lower.