Re: Censorship in Debian

On Friday, January 04, 2019 10:17:56 AM Russ Allbery wrote:
> Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:
> > If censorship isn't the right word (and at best, it's not ideal), what's
> > the right word for the chilling effect on willingness to speak in public
> > due to the risk of being ejected from an organization like Debian?
>
> Being an adult.

Nonsense unless you define being an adult as completely and fully
understanding exactly what the hundreds of people around the world think is
reasonable.

My question is independent of if recent DAM actions were appropriate or not.

I suspect we agree on more than we disagree in this area, but I don't think
"My way or the highway" is the right answer beyond a certain point in a
worldwide project like this.

Please accept that I am concerned that reasonable people who, none the less,
do not fully accept a certain political orthodoxy are uncertain about where
the lines are and find that chilling their willingness to participate in
Debian beyond narrow strictly technical discussions.  I am not trying to make
excuses for people who go out of their way to make other people feel less
welcome in Debian.

I find this notion that if anyone has any concern or confusion about if their
opinions are OK to express it's only because they are wrong very troubling.

Scott K