Re: Expulsions Policy

On Fri, 2019-01-04 at 23:56 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> No.  That's not how Debian works. This is a volunteer effort, not a
> bureaucracy.  Delegates are delegated certain authorities and it's up
> to them to decide how to exercise them.  If the larger DD community
> sufficiently disagrees, they can raise a GR on the matter (but please
> wait until we hear from them as a team and only if you are really,
> really certain - overriding a DPL delegate is a major thing).

I was waiting for someone to say "but ... Debian's different".  No,
it's not.

For a start I am genuinely puzzled by you saying Debian doesn't have a
bureaucracy.  To me it seems Debian has a much larger bureaucracy than
most 1000 people organisations I've deal with.  We have lots of cogs
like the DAM grinding away in the background (so many in fact I'm sure
I don't know them all), court like entities like the TC, more written
rules than I've seen in most large organisations.

That aside, "That's not how Debian works" sounds like the height of
hubris to me.  Getting groups of unfamiliar people with different
backgrounds and values together to work towards a common interest is
something we have been working for centuries.  In fact finding better
ways to do that is probably what has propelled Western society to its
current pre-eminent position - governments, democracies, corporations,
trusts, charities, churches, the number of ways we do it is mind
boggling.  Underneath all of them lies some common elements, which you
can pick up for free where I live from most government offices by
asking for "model rules" or "model constitution".  I gather Debian did
not do that, because if they did they would have got their first
expulsion process and we would all know what it is.

Yet here you come along claiming Debian has found a better way, which
apparently is appoint people while providing no written guidance on
what they are expected to do, but we fix that having a GR if they
displease us.  No, just no, it is not a better way.

Besides your wrong.  In most things Debian does we have do have
policies, reams of them in fact.  Policies saying how people join, how
they retire, how they resolve technical differences.  This expulsion
thing is not the norm - it's an aberration.  Most GR's are about
changing our policies as we learn, not telling teams they have done
something bad.

> I think you don't have much experience with these kinds of things if
> you believe that.

I don't know what "things" you are referring to, but if it is working
in large community groups like "Debian" you are again wrong.

> On the FTP Team (of which I'm a non-delegated Assistant) it can take
> weeks to get agreement on text to send out on an issue.  The email I
> sent relatively recently to d-d-a regarding the team's view on
> listing individual copyright holders in debian/copyright was
> literally months in the making.

You are comparing the workload of the FTP team which has to deal with
many issues a year to workload of imposed by an expulsion process when
has been used only a few times in Debian's history.  I trust you see
the obvious problem.

Obvious problem aside, we apparently think it is necessary to insist
the Technical Committee provide similar a justification on the cases
they decide upon each year, yet you are apparently are think asking the
people who expel members to do the same thing is imposing an
unreasonable workload.  Is how we deal with each other so unimportant?

It probably isn't, because that effort you say is so unreasonable - the
the DAM actually do it.  Did see read the their private email to the
person concerned - that would be it.  This thing you are focusing on,
the written justification wasn't the change I was asking for as they
mostly do it now.  I was asking for something entirely different -
transparency.

> Taking care to make sure an email speaks for the team as a whole and
> is correct is hard and takes time.

Indeed, damned hard.  Can you imagine then how hard it must be for the
DAM to speak and act for the whole project?   Yet we ask three people
to do just that.  They had not formal training for it (unless they come
from a HR background - I don't know), we give them little guidance,
almost no feedback until incidents like this occur because you can't
provide feedback without a little transparency, and then you pop up and
say don't worry - we don't have clear standards we expect you to uphold
- Debian doesn't work like that.  We will just GR you if you get it
wrong.