Re: Expulsions Policy

On Saturday, January 05, 2019 02:34:14 PM Russell Stuart wrote:

I have comments only a a couple of the points you raised:

> On Fri, 2019-01-04 at 10:57 +0000, Ulrike Uhlig wrote:
> > You are misrepresenting this: it has been said outside of this list
> > that this does not represent an expulsion procedure but a procedure
> > that makes it possible for DDs to make DAM consider an removal of
> > privileges, because that's what it is.
>
> OK, could somebody clear something up for me please?  Does Debian have
> a procedure / policy or something saying what triggers the DAM moving
> down the road towards a Developers expulsion (so it's clear when they
> must act), and what procedure they follow when expel someone.  I
> thought that was it.  Apparently not.

No.  That's not how Debian works. This is a volunteer effort, not a
bureaucracy.  Delegates are delegated certain authorities and it's up to them
to decide how to exercise them.  If the larger DD community sufficiently
disagrees, they can raise a GR on the matter (but please wait until we hear
from them as a team and only if you are really, really certain - overriding a
DPL delegate is a major thing).

We don't get to look inside DAM and have opinions on how they execute their
delegated authority.

> I'll put it bluntly: they should not need time.

I think you don't have much experience with these kinds of things if you
believe that.

On the FTP Team (of which I'm a non-delegated Assistant) it can take weeks to
get agreement on text to send out on an issue.  The email I sent relatively
recently to d-d-a regarding the team's view on listing individual copyright
holders in debian/copyright was literally months in the making.

That was for a non-controversial topic for which there was not much internal
disagreement written during a period when it wasn't the topic of I don't know
how many messages on Debian mailing lists.

Taking care to make sure an email speaks for the team as a whole and is
correct is hard and takes time.

Scott K