Re: Censorship in Debian

On 21/12/2018 01.27, Paul R. Tagliamonte wrote:
> We are not a Government.

We don't have a _Sovereign_ Government, but a Government we most
certainly have.

We are a body of people bound by a Constitution; this body has
Officials acting on its behalf; we vote to represent our interests; we
delegate powers; we subject ourselves to powers, etc.

> Please don't conflate Debian ensuring we have a healthy community
> with Government censorship,

This action was not performed  by the community, but by an Official
acting Debian's behalf. Consequently, it _was_ government censorship.

Government censorship, as a limitation of speech, can be of course
be justified or not, but I don't want to go into that here.

I merely want to refute the notion that "only Goverments can censor"
implies that any non-Sovereign body cannot possibly censor. The thread
title is valid.

> Please don't conflate [...] a blog being removed from project
> resources with the killing of a journalist.

Absolutely.

--
Christian Kastner