Re: Censorship in Debian

On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 01:39:27PM +0100, Christian Kastner wrote:
>On 21/12/2018 01.27, Paul R. Tagliamonte wrote:
>> We are not a Government.
>
>We don't have a _Sovereign_ Government, but a Government we most
>certainly have.
>
>We are a body of people bound by a Constitution; this body has
>Officials acting on its behalf; we vote to represent our interests; we
>delegate powers; we subject ourselves to powers, etc.

Only for very limited areas. Debian does not have the power to tell us
how to live outside of our collaboration with Debian. It's a very
limited organisation. The worst censure that can be applied is to be
removed from that organisation. That does not compare to the possible
removal of liberty (or even life!) that is amongst a Government's
powers.

>> Please don't conflate Debian ensuring we have a healthy community
>> with Government censorship,
>
>This action was not performed  by the community, but by an Official
>acting Debian's behalf. Consequently, it _was_ government censorship.

Rubbish. A refusal by Debian to publish on somebody's behalf is not at
all the same as government censorship. A government can remove the
right to publish at all.

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me