Re: anti-harassment team membership concerns

On 27/12/18 12:04, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> On 2018/12/27 06:56, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> Specifically, I notice that Molly recently joined the team and she is
>> also a member of the Outreach team.
>>
>> This is not a personal attack on Molly, I simply believe that for
>> various reasons being in both teams at the same time is incompatible for
>> anybody.
> That's a rather big statement to make and unless I missed something, you
> didn't really explain why that's the case. AH and outreach isn't
> inherently incompatible and neither are there any conflict of interests.

Having seen examples of different situations in private, having been
GSoC admin twice and also having been in various representative
positions where people come to me with grievances I feel comfortable
making that statement from experience.

It is also potentially quite a strain on somebody to do AH or any
welfare-oriented role properly.  I would hate to see the AH team make a
mistake with somebody because they have multiple demands on their time,
especially the demands of GSoC deadlines.

It can be quite rewarding if you succeed in earning people's trust on
all sides and achieving win-win outcomes but even when you get the best
possible outcome in a dispute, you can still go away feeling drained.

Regards,

Daniel