Re: DISS project hosting (was: contacting Debian is too easy to get wrong)

@ Butterfly, I find it rather ironic that at the exact moment I was importing the project to GitLab I get a message in the development channel from my bot saying you starred the Github repository, only to come into my gmail and notify Ben of the change and I see you ask this within seconds of me posting that I did already import the project to https://git.fosscommunity.in/kathryntolsen/diss if you're gonna read my mind you might want to update your protocol/parser. :P  I'm still changing and updating links. I'm gonna leave the GitHub account open and just point it at GitLab, since there is a much larger community on GitHub, and many people already following. We'll just use GitLab for future updates and I'll have to modify my IRC bot to handle the webhooks from GitLab. Seems rather trivial since the API is so similar. *crosses fingers*

On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Cindy-Sue Causey <butterflybytes@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/22/17, Katy Tolsen <2ndlifekaty@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>the proprietary GitHub silo?
>
> Absolutely, and I see these as legitimate concerns. I had quite a hard
> time getting things like GitHub webhooks to post to the channel and
> I am not a fan of GitHub already. I posted to GitHub and SourceForge
> just to get it out there and have a place to keep things. I have no
> experience with these things and would prefer someone who did take
> lead on this.
>
> I am not familiar with any of these tools so I have no preference.
> I was just trying to find a place to outline the ideas well enough to
> allow people to wrap their minds around a vision I developed over 15
> years of using and supporting Debian and seeing various issues.
>
> As you can see the wiki isn't all that detailed just an attempt to break
> things down so people can flesh out the specifics of an API.. and we
> have no actual code yet this first week has just been publicizing the
> idea, garnering support for development and noodling design ideas.
>
> I'm totally open on everything right now the only things I'm somewhat firm
> on is that this needs to be done, and that it should include components
> that integrate directly into the OS, wrap our existing support resources
> without people who already know how they work having to change the way
> they do things, and that Python should be the language for development
> simply because not only does it seem most well suited to the task for
> making development go smoothly.
>
> I can either take a similarly inexperienced crack at moving/recreating the
> project elsewhere or someone can just take lead and create a new home
> themselves and I can update the existing information pointing to the
> new location. It really doesn't matter to me. I have little more than a
> vision,
> experience with using and supporting Debian, and a working but rather
> inexperienced understanding of Python. I will either have to learn as I go
> or will only be slowing the project down if I remain the leader of this
> show.
>
> On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> On 21-Oct-2017, Katy Tolsen wrote:
>> > I think the project I've started may be the answer to this as well
>> > as many other support issues that plague our system.
>>
>> Thank you for starting this project.
>>
>> > However we need a lot of help to make this happen.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> In its early days, can I convince you to move the project away from
>> the proprietary GitHub silo? That will limit the participation from
>> people who care about keeping their contributions on free platforms
>> <URL:https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html>.
>>
>> There is currently a transition within the official Debian
>> infrastructure for VCS hosting, so it's not *quite* feasible for me to
>> point you to an “official” Debian VCS host.
>>
>> In the meantime, I would recommend using the free-software platforms

@ Ben, #ThankYou for saying what you did how you did. I knew there is
ongoing objection to something about Github. Your explanation is
possibly the first I've fully understood. I've had an account for some
9 years and *just* started using it maybe 3 months ago in part due to
not having knowledge of projects housed elsewhere. :)

>> > We really need help on this project especially from at least one
>> > DM/DD to make it a reality. Right now we're just planning it all
>> > out, and all input is welcome.
>>
>> I would love to contribute – I have the Python skills you discuss, and
>> recognise the problem you're solving – once the project is on a
>> free-software platform where I can in good conscience maintain an
>> account.

@ Katy.. Have you created an account that can be followed on either of
Ben's other suggestions? At my level of cognition, my primary interest
for now would be to help share knowledge of the project's existence
where appropriate to do so. Who knows, though, maybe something will
finally click this time thanks to watching it grow from the ground up.
:)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey