Re: DISS project hosting (was: contacting Debian is too easy to get wrong)

On 21-Oct-2017 Ben Finney wrote:

> I would love to contribute – I have the Python skills you discuss, and
> recognise the problem you're solving – once the project is on a
> free-software platform where I can in good conscience maintain an
> account.

I've imported the project to gitlab.debian.net,
https://git.fosscommunity.in/kathryntolsen/diss
it was actually quite painless and seemed to mirror the wiki and all.

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Ben Finney <bignose@debian.org> wrote:
On 21-Oct-2017, Katy Tolsen wrote:
> I think the project I've started may be the answer to this as well
> as many other support issues that plague our system.

Thank you for starting this project.

> However we need a lot of help to make this happen.

Agreed.

In its early days, can I convince you to move the project away from
the proprietary GitHub silo? That will limit the participation from
people who care about keeping their contributions on free platforms
<URL:https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html>.

There is currently a transition within the official Debian
infrastructure for VCS hosting, so it's not *quite* feasible for me to
point you to an “official” Debian VCS host.

In the meantime, I would recommend using the free-software platforms
Launchpad <URL:https://launchpad.net/> or a GitLab instance
<URL:https://gitlab.debian.net/>, while it is easy to migrate the
project away from a proprietary silo.

--
 \      “What we usually pray to God is not that His will be done, but |
  `\                       that He approve ours.” —Helga Bergold Gross |