On the Anti Harassment Team

During DebConf17 there was a BOF about the Anti-Harassment team. You can find links to slides, text, video and collaborative pad of the discussion in our wiki page: https://wiki.debian.org/AntiHarassment .

We presented a status report of the issues that had been handled during the past year as well as invited participants to comment on some questions related to the team.  These are the conclusions from that discussion.

1) Scope and Powers: the team is in charge of mediating between developers but doesn't have any actual powers, it can only recommend actions to other delegates (listmasters, DAM, etc), but it's on the delegates to take action. There are advantages and disadvantages to this model, but after discussing it, we ended up deciding to keep going as we are.

2) Activity reporting: we plan to do an annual or semi-annual report to the project, similar to the one presented in the BOF.

3) Members: the job that our team does is quite taxing and in order to be responsive we would like to have new members, and work on a rotational basis (i.e. two or three years of term, not forever) to avoid burn-out. Additionally, we believe that we need extra training to be better prepared to handling issues, this is something that we want to work on.

4) Name: we find that "anti harassment" is not a great name both because it's negative and because it puts people on edge when we contact them.  We asked people to suggest other names.  The current best suggestion that we have is "Respect & Inclusion team" with respect@debian.org as the alias (not created yet). This discussion is still open and we welcome other suggestions and ideas (contact us via antiharassment@debian.org ).

Let's keep being excellent to each other,
Laura & Marga from the Anti-Harassment team