Re: If Debian support OS certification?

On 05/17/2017 03:49 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 02:32:20PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>> A trustworthy certification report that said "this machine would have
>> passed the certification, except that the wifi card requires a
>> separately supplied firmware blob from Debian non-free" would be
>> extremely useful to many users and potential purchasers.
>
> my usb controller uses a blob, my cpu uses a blob, my bios is collection of
> blobs and my bios-loader is a blob, [...] and my wireless card uses a blob
> from debian non-free and then the certification tells me it's all fine except
> for the wireless card. Is that really that useful or trustworthy?

Hi Qubes Holger :D

I assume the above Ian's assertion is still valid from Debian PoV -
Debian main will run fine on hardware with all those blobs except it
will not have wi-fi. If all those blobs (that don't stop Debian main
being perfectly usable) are the issue here than Debian is not good
enough for anything and I think on contrary.

Talking more about all the blobs is very helpful of course, but its not
something Debian will go and solve, and at state where Debian is
(compared to other OS certification) I am leaning towards Ian's
sentiment here.