Re: should debian comment about the recent 'ransomware' malware.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh writes:
> On Wed, 17 May 2017, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 01:59:37PM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
>> > Microsoft users or indeed Android users, iOS users and I presume OSX
>> > users get security updates installed automagically by default.
>>
>> that's awesome and I hope by 2019 the default stable Debian desktop install
>> will do that too!
>
> You know, if the stuff we have in testing _rignt now_ works flawlessly,
> we can (and should) add to the Release Notes in big red letters that
> people ought to install it.   It can even be made a post to
> debian-announce and debian-security-announce (if the security team
> agrees with the notion).

>From my experience the current update system doesn't work flawlessly.
It is error-prone to upgrade running applications and switch out parts
of them while they run: many programs don't like when data files or
plugins they rely on suddenly disappear.  I've observed this with quite
a few applications (such as Firefox, Libreoffice, zsh, emacs, ...).  The
breakage can result in crashes or just some features suddenly no longer
working until restart.

Installing updates on system startup seems less risky to me, though some
people seem to dislike it for some philosophical reason.

Ansgar