Re: Inappropriate content on planet.debian.org and need of evolution of documentation and CoC

Hi

El 05/04/17 a las 22:09, shirish शिरीष escribió:
Dear all,

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the mailing list. Please excuse
the non-brievity of the mail.

Couple of weeks back,I put up a blog post
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2017/03/30/the-tale-of-the-dancing-girl-nsfw/

Sorry, but no "couple of weeks". Your post is from March 30th.

Because the subject matter is mature and uncomfortable to many people
my feed was turned off.

In response I was given/shared three documents/links  -

https://wiki.debian.org/PlanetDebian

To be more precise it was
https://wiki.debian.org/PlanetDebian?action=diff&rev2=49&rev1=48

https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

and last but not the least -

https://debconf.org/codeofconduct.shtml

Sorry, but no. I (with my anti-harassment team hat on and CC'ing antiharassment@ and planet@) provided an explanation to you of the action that the Planet Team took, and in my very first sentences I mentioned it's NSFW as you were already noting in your post. I added the links to that, as reference.

And somehow the debconf code of conduct became the over-riding factor.

This is *your* opinion. I think I clarified it enough in the mails that we exchanged.

The official policy of Debian is the Debian Code of Conduct:

https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

which is approved by the Debian Project in General Resolution, and it's linked in the Debian website homepage.

From the discussions it emerged or was shared (in private) that the
documents need to be evolved

No. I said:
"We may need to make evolve our different documents about conduct (that were born in different times) towards a global set of guidelines. This needs work and discussions and time."

Note the "we *may* need", and "this needs work and discussions and time".

 but there doesn't seem to be any
discussion about it in the public space and that I find frustrating
(or maybe I'm not looking at the right place/s and if so please
guide.)

I do find this part to be problematic -

"Try not to annoy people. While there is absolutely no requirement
that posts need to be about Debian, if there are a subset of posts
that are annoying a large number of people and generating many
complaints, you may be asked to consider providing a feed without the
posts in question. If you stay away from advertising content (or
content that might be confused as such) and from excessively personal
information, you should be fine."

Now while I have hinted that the material should be child or
family-friendly it still seems far from perfect.

Again, no. We noted that your post was NSFW. We said that as a "rule of thumb", if your content is ok for under-12, it's probably ok for posting in planet.

For any person it is very difficult to know what would or would not
annoy people. For instance the blog post I'm writing atm is about
'Fatalism' the idea or thought that some/few/many people have that
life is pre-ordained in full or in parts .

While my feed is still blocked, the specific blog post might or might
not annoy people.
If we are to talk only 'safe' topics then that would
serve as a good guide. Even if we are able to come with a list of
topics which are considered harmful or detrimental to the project even
that probably would be service to the project.

Or dis-service, I'm not sure. E.g., a recent related post that appeared in Planet:
https://grep.be/blog/en/retorts/Codes_of_Conduct/

And please note the *e.g.*. You may find different discussions out there about the topic, with different opinions.

Similarly, perhaps  the Debian Code of Conduct could do with some
child/family-friendly addition therein.

I have no idea whether debian-project is the right place to start this
discussion or some other mailing list/bug-report or some other way.

The Debian Code of Conduct was approved as a General Resolution. You can find more discussion about it here:

https://www.debian.org/vote/2014/vote_002

I guess that further changes to the Debian Code of Conduct may need to be approved in General Resolution as well. This needs time, discussions and work, as I noted before.

Personally I'm quite energy-drained in the last weeks (and couldn't find time to recharge my batteries yet) because of personal reasons unrelated to Debian (and some Debian work, I have to admit), and, with my anti-harassment team hat on, would prefer not to open this discussion right now, since I'm struggling even just for keeping myself up to date with inbox (I couldn't find time to read this whole thread in the middle of my day work).

I am no DD or DM so guess this is the only way I can raise the issue
and get some sort of equivalence in all three documents so they
speak/tell the same thing.

No, this was not the only way.

Personal note: I need to rest, for my personal physical and mental health and for feeling strong to help others too. I'm not burned out right now, but I don't want to arrive to that situation.

So I'll take some days (weeks?) off, and just after that, I'll try to read all the mails in this thread as soon as possible, and maybe then participate (again) in this conversation.

Thanks for your understanding.

I'm available in my personal mail and in IRC but please ping me only if you consider it's important *and urgent* what I can say or do. I'll try to keep up with the inbox of antiharassment@debian.org as until now, and I thank everybody that is working to create a more welcoming environment in Debian.

Cheers
--
Laura Arjona Reina
https://wiki.debian.org/LauraArjona