Re: third-party packages adding apt sources

Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org> writes:
> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 07:26:28AM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>>  2. packages can disappear at any time
>
> If they are broken. In my book that a feature and not a bug.

>From the user's perspective, they are also often *not* broken. Just take
the "pandas" package as an example. The package was removed from testing
due to some RC bugs, which are now resolved. However, now the packages
do not build on many platforms, so the migration to testing fails.

For an amd64 machine (which most of the users have), the package works
fine, and from an user's view the package is just not broken. It
disappeared and he can (as long as he has no good knowledge about the
package management) not solve this. The situation gets even more
complicated when the user is not using "python3-pandas" directly, but as
a dependency of another package.

This behavious may be useful for a development platform, but for an end
user this is just inacceptable. Just think if this happens with the only
email program or web browser the user knows about.

Best regards

Ole