Re: shutting down httpredir.debian.org?

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016, Christian Rohmann wrote:
> On 04/13/2016 10:23 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >>  * Intensive checks (even via rsync) regarding mirror consistency
> > That's good too but the downside is that the mirrors must
> > offer rsync service, either public or at least for the mirror redirector.
> > It's not possible to use a mirror that cannot be scanned via rsync.
>
> Likely wrong: http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/mirrors/#scanning-mirrors
>
> There is FTP and HTTP fallback.

Duh... yes there is, but have you tried scanning a Debian mirror
with FTP? It just never finishes. And with HTTP it's even worse, it's
not possible to scan unless the mirror has enabled directory listing (or
you try one by one all the files of the local mirror).

The intent of mirrorbrain is to update the file lists regularly
and with rsync I get a 2 minutes update once every hour. That's OK.
With FTP I never had the patience to see how long it actually took.

So for all practical matters, only rsync is usable.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer