Re: Would you agree - Debian is for the tech savvy

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 6:20 AM, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
<mengualjeanphi@free.fr> wrote:

> The main difference between Debian and Ubuntu is that the installer is
> less friendly-user, and the firmware are not loaded by default. But I
> think Debian is really the Universal Operating System. And it's the
> characterization I prefer: saying this, it shows how Debian is for
> anybody. But if one is not a technician, it could need help, of course.
> But 1st, it matches to the collaborative state of spirit in free
> software. 2nd, if paid, it enables to finance free software dev. 3rd,
> never forget that any OS, included proprietary ones, would be difficult
> to install if not provided in computers. Installing an OS and having all
> benefits is not easy for a non-technician, also with Ubuntu.

I do respect all the qualities you mentioned about Debian's commitment
to only free software, although it does make installing more
difficult. It is also true that all distros can be made to look like
one another with a little work.

Thanks for the reply. It is good to keep in mind that Debian is used
by a lot of non tech savvy people (who may or may not of installed
their system).