Re: "Do you want to mount the drive, 'cancel' or 'allow'?"

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Marcin Wolcendorf writes (""Do you want to mount the drive, 'cancel' or 'allow'?""):
>> Now, I know, Mr. P [rude rant snipped]
>
> This is not really polite or helpful.
>
>> So - so long, Debian, sad to see you go down that way.
>
> And it's not accurate, either.  You can run jessie perfectly fine
> without systemd (and without policykit getting in the way of mounting
> SD cards or whatever).  I'm doing that on my own netbook and
> everything works fine for me.  I use mount(8)'s user mount support;
> there may be other options.

There's also udiskctl from the udisks2 package, if you want to do stuff
pretty-much by hand, while playing nicely with policykit (well, it lets
me (un)mount things as a normal user from the command-line in an xmonad
session with no Gnome in sight)

> While my init systems diversity GR was defeated, the vote showed that
> 30% of the voting DDs felt that viability of Debian-without-systemd
> was important.  That's plenty of effort to keep our options open.
>
> If you don't like systemd or policykit, why are you running them ?

My reading of Marcin's mail suggested that he'd avoided installing
systemd, given the bit about:

>> ... lack of systemd ...

which made me think that the rudeness about the people associated with
systemd was simply irrelevant.

Cheers, Phil.