Re: Interpreting the init system GR results

]] Matthias Urlichs

> Hi,
>
> Tollef Fog Heen:
> > Matthias Urlichs
> > > Too true. This GR does not have winners. We all lost.
> >
> > No, we all won.  We won because we said that «we have processes for
> > this».
>
> We do have processes for this, but the interaction of reasonable people and
> working processes with not-so-reasonable people (note that I'm not blaming
> a specific "side" here) definitely resulted in misguided (ab?)use of our
> processes (in the opinion of a large majority of developers) -- altogether
> an experience I wouldn't want to repeat any time soon. If ever. :-/

Yes, in this case it was one of those cases where one group wanted to
(and my apologies for the war-like metaphor here) call in the heavy
artillery.  The project said «no, we have better mechanisms for
this». That's certainly a course correction, but that's fine.

> So, yes we «won» in the sense that the mandate to get over our mutual
> pigheadedness and start to bloody *talk* to each other was sent loud and
> clear (let's hope it'll be received), but along the way we lost a heap of
> trust in each other which will have to be regained.

It's not only a mandate, it's a directive.  It's the metaphorical parent
going «why are you running to me to solve this problem? You know how to
fix this already!».

> > I sure hope we are.  It won't be easy, but I think we are.  If I didn't,
> > I'd not have been here still.
>
> Same here.
>
> Well. Enough of that. Back to getting actual work done! ;-)

Yupyup.

--
Tollef Fog Heen