Re: Interpreting the init system GR results

]] Matthias Urlichs

> Russ Allbery:
> > A lot of that analysis concludes that the pro-systemd "side" in Debian
> > won some sort of conclusive victory.
> > I have a different perspective.
>
> Too true. This GR does not have winners. We all lost. Not as a result of
> this vote, bus because of the incessant arguing, trolling, and mixing up
> of personal preferences and angsts with technical merits and bugs which
> preceded and accompanied it.
> (It also caused a couple of people to quit who shouldn't have had to.)

No, we all won.  We won because we said that «we have processes for
this».  We won because we as a project said «we are responsible and
trust each other to be excellent and work together for the best
solutions for everybody».  We won because we rejected making technical
policy through political processes.

There were sacrifices along the way.  This isn't an easy won victory,
and we'll all be sore and tender for a while while we regain our balance
and find out how to best move forward together.

> > Are we up to the challenge?
> >
> Personally I doubt we are, and I'm not necessarily excepting myself from
> that judgement.
>
> But we should strive to be.

I sure hope we are.  It won't be easy, but I think we are.  If I didn't,
I'd not have been here still.

--
Tollef Fog Heen