Re: CoC / procedural abuse

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 12:38:01PM -0400, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> I received a rather dismayed email from Zenaan Harkness last night, saying
> that he's been blocked from posting to any Debian mailing lists as a result
> of his emails to debian-project regarding the recent CoC discussion.

> While I thought his points were entirely valid - the actual "offense" noted
> was never brought up, and frankly, the context here was important to
> understanding the nature and the character of the complaint - the larger
> point is that evidently there is quiet censorship of dissenting opinion, and
> presumably this censorship was itself skirting the bounds of the CoC.

Debian does not ban people from the mailing lists for expressing dissenting
opinions.  If Zenaan told you this was the cause of his ban, then he has
deliberately misled you.

Of course, you may have arrived at this conclusion not because of something
he said, but because of the information vacuum around the ban.  This is also
a trade-off in not announcing bans publicly.

In addition to Don's explanation of the current policy, you can find
discussion in the debian-project archive explaining how this policy was
arrived at:

  https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2013/10/msg00090.html