Re: Code of Conduct violations handling process

Piotr Ożarowski <piotr@debian.org> writes:
> [Ian Jackson, 2014-09-03]
>> Piotr Ożarowski writes ("Re: Code of Conduct violations handling process"):

>>> Some people want(ed) to codify in CoC other political correctness
>>> "things" that I don't agree with. I like our current CoC and I don't
>>> want to change it.

>> Neil Gaiman writes:
> [...]

> that's not what I think about political correctness, quite the opposite
> actually, but if it makes you happy, so be it. Please stop CCing me,
> though - I'm subscribing -project.

This may be a case where people for whom English is not their first
language, or who are otherwise not embedded in the political debates about
the English term "political correctness," may not realize the land mines
they're stepping on.

At least in the United States, people who use the term "political
correctness" in all seriousness as something they dislike and think is bad
are generally people with whom you would not want to share a project and
people who you would be best off avoiding.  This viewpoint is correlated
with racism, sexism, and other really anti-social behavior.  Its most
vocal public proponents, in the US political arena, are people who feel
the major problem facing society is not that bigotry is tolerated in the
public sphere but that other people dare to call them on their bigotry and
imply it's unacceptable.  Expect to see, for example, the KKK ranting
about "political correctness."

However, the term got exported to the broader world, and I suspect that,
outside our particular political hotbed, others are using it as a gentler
sort of term for "getting too caught up on exact phrasings" or "taking
offense too readily."  Just be aware that is NOT what many people in the
United States will take the term to mean.  By using it, you are risking
allying yourself with people you probably do not want to be associated
with.