Re: Trusted Organisation status for DebConf15's legal entity
- To: email@example.com
- Cc: Richard Hartmann <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Lucas Nussbaum <email@example.com>, debconf team list <firstname.lastname@example.org>, trademark <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Trusted Organisation status for DebConf15's legal entity
- From: Andreas Barth <email@example.com>
- Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 01:21:57 +0200
- Message-id: <[🔎] 20140426232157.GU20713@mails.so.argh.org>
- Mail-followup-to: Andreas Barth <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, Richard Hartmann <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Lucas Nussbaum <email@example.com>, debconf team list <firstname.lastname@example.org>, trademark <email@example.com>, firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <[🔎] 20140426230952.GS18209@mails.so.argh.org>
- References: <[🔎] CAD77+gQwz0opgZi2QSGre3Y3VbunGtg6B4bEQTcQbRZ-wjHNemail@example.com> <[🔎] 20140426222930.GT20713@mails.so.argh.org> <[🔎] CAD77+gRp5KSO6c-C2wTAqMrWg9HiON5PT4+OxBnMERP1+GHybg@mail.gmail.com> <[🔎] 20140426230952.GS18209@mails.so.argh.org>
* Andreas Barth (firstname.lastname@example.org) [140427 01:10]:
> * Richard Hartmann (email@example.com) [140427 00:40]:
> > On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM, Andreas Barth <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > > Debconf has a different tax situation than a normal TO setup
> > > (especially given the amount of money might bring us into VAT if we
> > > like it or not), so keeping those apart has some advantages to reduce
> > > long-term overhead.
> > I fail to see how, please expand.
> If you get money where you provide some value for (and sponsorship
> might fall into that category, if e.g. logos are shown somewhere),
> then this money is VAT-taxable (unless one of the exceptions of the
> Umsatzsteuergesetz is applicable) if it is more than a certain limit,
> and the amount of money debconf is using is well above that limit.
> Additionable it could save money to be VAT-taxable because it might be
> that you need to pay less VAT than you could substract from the goods
> you buy. All of that is a bit more complex (and legally binding for a
> couple of years) than a normal TO would need, and also needs binding
> answers from the tax authorities before.
for a few more details about which taxes need to be payed. It also
contains a short by-law template which is sufficient for being
tax-exempt (page 112ff).