Re: Trusted Organisation status for DebConf15's legal entity

> * Debian Deutschland e.V.
> * DebConf Deutschland e.V.
> * DebConf15 Deutschland e.V.
>
> From our understanding, German tax authorities don't like
> throw-away/single-use non-profit organisations, but we have no proof
> of that, so please speak up if you have experience.

I'm running some throw-away non-profit organisations, and have not
experienced problems.

Debconf has a different tax situation than a normal TO setup
(especially given the amount of money might bring us into VAT if we
like it or not), so keeping those apart has some advantages to reduce
long-term overhead. Also, having that seperated, reduces the risks
from debconf on "normal" debian assets. For this reason, I would
recommend to have a throw-away legal entity for debconf, and
independendly form a debian-owned legal umbrella in Germany.

> Also, at least
> Ganneff and me would be willing to carry on the e.V. after DebConf15
> if this is deemed useful to Debian. Given FFIS' performance (the above
> isn't a one-time event only, it's been this way for a long time), this
> seems likely.

I think it would be a good idea to have a Debian Deutschland e.V., but
as written above it might be better to instantiate that independend of
Debconf15 e.V.

> Also, having "Debian" in the name can help with finding sponsors.

You can use that name independend of how the legal umbrella is named.
One of my legal umbrellas is named "Trägerverein HST", but runs the
brand "Horber Schienen-Tage". This naming has not caused any issues.
The relation between Debconf, the Debconf15 e.V. and Debian would be
similar - related but not the same letters.

Andi