Re: Please give a summary (Was: Debian services and Debian infrastructure)

Hi Andreas,

On 21/01/14 at 17:51 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as a random reader I have the feeling that this thread is about a
> conflict between DSA members and DPL.  For me all these mails do not
> make the slightest sense and it would help if someone could give a
> summary what you are talking about and if possible give some example
> what you think is OK and what not.

In https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/01/msg00010.html (2014-01-04),
I said that I would contact Cloud providers to see if it would be possible to
get free credits for Debian development. I also asked DSA if they would like to
be involved in the management of such resources.

Stephen Gran replied (partially on behalf of DSA, but that part was personal)
that he wouldn't be willing to be involved, in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/01/msg00018.html.
Nobody else from DSA replied to that question.

I moved forward with contacting Cloud providers, and got two positive contacts,
which I reported about in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/01/msg00005.html. That
seems to have prompted today's follow-up discussion.

DSA expressed several concerns today, which I will try to summarize:

- I did not participate in the discussion after the initial mail on 2014-01-04.
  -> I was in agreement with most of what was written, so I did not feel
     the need to follow-up.

- I should not have contacted Cloud providers without informing them beforehand.
  -> from my POV I informed them on 2014-01-04. They did not state back then
     that they wanted to be Cced.

- Those credits would be Debian machines, so they have to be managed by DSA.
  -> I asked them if they wanted to manage them, and was planning to ask again.

So, from my POV, the current state is described in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/01/msg00096.html:
| I had never planned to keep the management of this in DPL-dom, and even asked
| DSA in [3] if you would like to manage those resources. My second-choice would
| have been to build a small team to do the tasks listed in [4]. But if DSA would
| like to do those tasks, I'm super-happy to hand them over to you. My question
| from [3] on whether you would like to be in charge of that still stands, and I
| was planning to get back to you about it once I had clarified if it was
| possible to get such a scheme set up with Cloud providers. So, just let me
| know.
| [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/12/msg00003.html
| [2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-qa/2011/11/msg00001.html
| [3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/01/msg00010.html