Re: Amazon AWS credits for Debian QA work; help needed!

On 31/10/11 at 16:51 -0400, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> [ Michael: look for "SPI" in the text; topic: do we have a Debian/SPI
>   credit card we could use? ]
>
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 10:11:28AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > I can now confirm that we were awarded $10,000 from Amazon, to use on
> > AWS. (Many thanks to everyone who made it possible!)
>
> Great!  Have you asked if they want us to advertise this kind offer in
> any way? (blog post, press release, etc.)  We clearly should acknowledge
> this publicly, and we might take that as a chance to attract volunteers
> interesting in working on the code part.

I've been asked to write a blog post (on my personal blog) about how we
use AWS for those QA tests. Of course, a pointer to that blog in DPN
would be nice, but I have not been asked for it or more.  I think that
it's probably better to wait until we have actually done someone on AWS
to announce this (it would also maximize the impact).

Regarding recruiting volunteers, as I wrote, I'm OK with doing it myself
since I'm also interested in learning more about cloud infrastructures
from a profesional POV.

> > Regarding the account set-up on Amazon AWS, I propose to use a
> > cloud@qa.debian.org email alias, so that I'm out of the critical path
> > (bus factor, etc).
>
> Full ACK. Please request also a mail archive for it readable to the
> group "qa".

OK

> (I'm assuming here that on the mail account might transit
> sensitive information; if it's not the case, that alias could also
> simply redirect to debian-qa@lists.d.o.)

I think that a private mail alias+archive is enough:
- there could be messages such as password resets, etc.
- the email will also receive some announcements about new AWS services,
  which could probably be considered to be SPAM.

> I'd have no problem in providing such a statement.  *But* I don't think
> we should eagerly risk "wasting" Debian money this way. It would be nice
> to ask our Amazon contacts if they can configure the account so that it
> automatically stops at the 10'000$ thresholds. I'm sure they'll
> understand this need of ours.

I've just asked.

Lucas