Re: Updating the Policy Editors delegation

.oO ( funny that this comes up now, given the same delegation text was
already used in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/10/msg00006.html and
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/06/msg00004.html)

On 06/01/14 at 13:51 +0000, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 05:58:19PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Furthermore, I don't think this delegation declaration is
> > constitutionally appropriate.  The policy editors are, primarily,
> > maintainers of a package.
> >

> Indeed, there's potentially an issue here that the constitution states
> (8.3) "Delegates may make decisions as they see fit, but should attempt
> to implement good technical decisions and/or follow consensus opinion."
>
> By defining a process within a delegation, this removes this option,
> which a delegation cannot do.
>
> > The processes for how to maintain a package, and ordinary
> > maintainership succession, would seem to fall squarely within the
> > current maintainers' own discretion.  Jurisdiction to adjudicate
> > package maintainership disputes, and oversight of the decisions of the
> > policy editors, are explicitly granted to the Technical Committee.
> >
> > So it seems to me, at the moment, that this delegation is ultra vires
> > and hence not binding on the policy maintainers.
> >

> Indeed, though please note that this isn't an official interpretation of
> the consitution. If you want that, please mail secretary@ :)

Doing that now. :-)  Also, I'm more worried with the interactions with
Constitution 6.1.1. It seems to me that a Policy Editors delegation
should have come from the TC, not the DPL.
Dear Secretary, what do you think?

Lucas