Re: Updating the Policy Editors delegation

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 05:58:19PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Furthermore, I don't think this delegation declaration is
> constitutionally appropriate.  The policy editors are, primarily,
> maintainers of a package.

Indeed, there's potentially an issue here that the constitution states
(8.3) "Delegates may make decisions as they see fit, but should attempt
to implement good technical decisions and/or follow consensus opinion."

By defining a process within a delegation, this removes this option,
which a delegation cannot do.

> The processes for how to maintain a package, and ordinary
> maintainership succession, would seem to fall squarely within the
> current maintainers' own discretion.  Jurisdiction to adjudicate
> package maintainership disputes, and oversight of the decisions of the
> policy editors, are explicitly granted to the Technical Committee.
>
> So it seems to me, at the moment, that this delegation is ultra vires
> and hence not binding on the policy maintainers.

Indeed, though please note that this isn't an official interpretation of
the consitution. If you want that, please mail secretary@ :)

Neil