Re: Google contacting (harassing?) new DDs

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 06:14:51PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Even if one major employer politely agreed not to do this, it is worth
> remembering that there are gazillions of tiny little agencies out
> there.  Most operate at arm's length from the big employers, giving
> themselves more latitude in their choice of tactics, to put it
> politely.  We would probably never be able to stop all of them
> trawling through Debian membership/contact data.

I'm not much interested in stopping spam, but in just making it better
for everyone involved. People may not want to be contacted now, but at
the same time may not want to train their spamfilter to delete job
offers.

On the recruiter's side, they would only get offers from people actually
motivated to take up a job with them.

On our side, we hopefully lighten the burden somewhat[1], and we get to
know that the people not playing by the book are probably also not
playing by a whole lot of other books, which may be another source of
interesting information regarding a potential employer.

Ciao,

Enrico

[1] from my personal experience, negotiating an alternative solution
    with Google alone would get rid of a significant percentage of
    potential harassment here. I would assume that Google is an entity
    we can talk with, with a reasonable hope of success.

--
GPG key: 4096R/E7AD5568 2009-05-08 Enrico Zini <enrico@enricozini.org>