Re: Google contacting (harassing?) new DDs

On 10/12/13 18:02, Enrico Zini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it looks like as soon as one becomes DD, an email arrives from
> Google recruiters.

Is it just one recruiter at Google or is it multiple people?

Are they actually Google staff or is it an external agency that is
just trying to find people who they can propose to Google and other
employers?

> I am toying with the idea of contacting companies with aggressive
> recruiting policies like Google asking them to please leave us in
> peace, and offering instead to maintain a wiki page of recruiting
> contacts for companies that like the taste of DD blood. Something
> like:
>
> These companies consider Debian Developers as especially
> interesting people to recruit. If you are a Debian Developer and
> looking for a job, you can reach them using the contacts below:
>
> Google: <foo@google.com> Facebook: <bar@facebook.com> Amazon:
> <baz@amazon.com> Canonical: <gnu@canonical.com> ...
>
> and so on.
>
> Comments?

This is probably an intractable problem for a project that is
completely open

Many organisations vigorously protect their membership/employee lists
but Debian would not be Debian if it became one of those organisations.

Even if one major employer politely agreed not to do this, it is worth
remembering that there are gazillions of tiny little agencies out
there.  Most operate at arm's length from the big employers, giving
themselves more latitude in their choice of tactics, to put it
politely.  We would probably never be able to stop all of them
trawling through Debian membership/contact data.