Re: Copyright assignement for Debian tools?

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 01:00:27PM -0500, Brian Gupta wrote:
> It may also be worth reaching out to the Software Freedom Conservancy
> if this turns out to be out of scope for SPI
> http://sfconservancy.org/members/current/ (If I recall the SFLC helped
> get them off the ground, and they were founded to "own" projects that
> weren't a good fit for the FSF's GNU project).

Thanks Brian. As a matter of fact, I discuss with Bradley (Conservancy's
Executive Director) fairly regularly and I've in the past discussed with
him the possibilities of benefiting of SF Conservancy services as Debian
Project. The problem is that SF Conservancy, for various good reasons,
adopt a more "exclusive" model than SPI. They generally do not welcome
projects that have assets (of various kinds) scattered throughout
different organizations, which is the case for Debian. This has been a
blocker in the past. It *might* be that voluntary copyright assignments
are a special case, especially if SPI does not offer that "service", but
I very much doubt it. Either way, several people active in SF
Conservancy people are also active on SPI mailing list, so we won't miss
chances of collaborating on this if there are some!

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .