Re: Copyright assignement for Debian tools?

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 05:23:59PM +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:
>> I'm currently hacking on the maven-repo-helper package. The source code
>> contains copyright statements from the original author. Now when I add classes
>> it would be logical to add "Copyright 2013 Thomas Koch".
>>
>> But I don't see any sense in this. I've no interest to be the copyright
>> holder. I'd much rather like to write "Copyright 2013 The Debian Project".
>> (Actually I'm totally annoyed by anything related to copyright...)
>>
>> Do you have any advise for code that originates in the Debian project?
>
> In essence, you're asking for some sort of volunteer copyright
> assignment (or more likely contributor licensing agreement), similar to
> what KDE e.V. offers to contributors of the KDE project, see
> http://ev.kde.org/rules/fla.php
>
> Those kind of agreements are entirely optional and interesting for
> contributors like you, who don't want to care about copyright related
> matter and empower trusted 3rd party entities to take care of them
> (e.g. for licensing enforcements if/when the need arises).
>
> It wouldn't make sense to assign copyright to the Debian Project, but it
> might make sense to assign it to some of our trusted organization, like
> SPI. I'm myself not aware of mechanisms offered by SPI to allow
> volunteer copyright assignment. Hence I've just asked on the spi-general
> mailing list if that is something the organization is interested in
> supporting. I'll let you know if I hear back of anything actionable; in
> the mean time you can follow the discussion there.
>
> Thanks for raising this topic!

Zack,

It may also be worth reaching out to the Software Freedom Conservancy
if this turns out to be out of scope for SPI
http://sfconservancy.org/members/current/ (If I recall the SFLC helped
get them off the ground, and they were founded to "own" projects that
weren't a good fit for the FSF's GNU project).

-Brian