Re: Copyright assignement for Debian tools?

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 05:23:59PM +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:
> I'm currently hacking on the maven-repo-helper package. The source code
> contains copyright statements from the original author. Now when I add classes
> it would be logical to add "Copyright 2013 Thomas Koch".
>
> But I don't see any sense in this. I've no interest to be the copyright
> holder. I'd much rather like to write "Copyright 2013 The Debian Project".
> (Actually I'm totally annoyed by anything related to copyright...)
>
> Do you have any advise for code that originates in the Debian project?

In essence, you're asking for some sort of volunteer copyright
assignment (or more likely contributor licensing agreement), similar to
what KDE e.V. offers to contributors of the KDE project, see
http://ev.kde.org/rules/fla.php

Those kind of agreements are entirely optional and interesting for
contributors like you, who don't want to care about copyright related
matter and empower trusted 3rd party entities to take care of them
(e.g. for licensing enforcements if/when the need arises).

It wouldn't make sense to assign copyright to the Debian Project, but it
might make sense to assign it to some of our trusted organization, like
SPI. I'm myself not aware of mechanisms offered by SPI to allow
volunteer copyright assignment. Hence I've just asked on the spi-general
mailing list if that is something the organization is interested in
supporting. I'll let you know if I hear back of anything actionable; in
the mean time you can follow the discussion there.

Thanks for raising this topic!
Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .