Re: LaMont Jones, WTH are you doing?

Hi,

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013, LaMont Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 11:33:39AM -0700, LaMont Jones wrote:
> > mergechanges is responsible for the differences you're seeing:
> > dpkg-source is run (yes, on an ubuntu system), and then binaries are built
> > on a system that is running sid, both amd64 and i386 binaries, since at
> > least one of those buildds has bitten me with bad binaries in the past.
> > The results are then merged, signed, and uploaded.
>
> That is, dpkg-buildpackages -uc -us -S is run on the source-holding (ubuntu)
> system,

You should not trust that. dpkg-dev has multiple parts which are behaving
differently depending on the vendor of the host system. It's trivial to
keep a sid chroot around which shares /home with your main system (with
schroot) and I would advise to build your source packages there too.

(Or at least you should override the vendor with "export
DEB_VENDOR=debian" in the shell where you build your source package but
it's easy to forget it)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/