Re: Google contacting (harassing?) new DDs

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 11:20:43AM -0500, Brian Gupta wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Marc Haber
> <mh+debian-project@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 06:02:27PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> >> it looks like as soon as one becomes DD, an email arrives from Google
> >> recruiters.
> >
> > So they basically take our DD selection process as a filter to weed
> > out potential candidates.
> >
> > How flattering.
> >
> > Greetings
> > Marc, who made the experience that Google will stop contacting you if
> > you state that you are not willing to move to a Googlecity
>
> Ironically enough, this thread has taken up more slots in my inbox
> than emails by Google recruiters this year by a 900% margin.

This happens because you're subscribed. You can easily reverse this margin by
unsubscribing.

> Hint: write back and say something like "I am flattered, but
> absolutely not on the market. Please don't contact me again for at
> least 2 years."

It seems there's no definitive way to unsubscribe from G's recruiters,
unfortunately, but yes, your hint may eventually work.

> That said if I was running a company that deployed a lot of Debian
> derived Linux systems, I'd certainly expect my hiring managers to be
> talking to Debian Developers, and I don't think we should fault them
> for it.

I think there's no way to change their recruiting process, no matter we
consider it good, bad or whatever. Poking people is not illegal and such
companies don't care about having annoying/unethical behavior if it gives them
a positive balance in the end.

> Perhaps when declining their overtures, it might help to point them at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-jobs/ to get them on the right track?

I don't think they'll consider it at all.

Regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Vaz                                    GPG  :      1024D/A504FECA
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago at debian.org                          IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org