Re: Google contacting (harassing?) new DDs

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Marc Haber
<mh+debian-project@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 06:02:27PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
>> it looks like as soon as one becomes DD, an email arrives from Google
>> recruiters.
>
> So they basically take our DD selection process as a filter to weed
> out potential candidates.
>
> How flattering.
>
> Greetings
> Marc, who made the experience that Google will stop contacting you if
> you state that you are not willing to move to a Googlecity

Ironically enough, this thread has taken up more slots in my inbox
than emails by Google recruiters this year by a 900% margin.

Hint: write back and say something like "I am flattered, but
absolutely not on the market. Please don't contact me again for at
least 2 years."

That said if I was running a company that deployed a lot of Debian
derived Linux systems, I'd certainly expect my hiring managers to be
talking to Debian Developers, and I don't think we should fault them
for it.

Perhaps when declining their overtures, it might help to point them at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-jobs/ to get them on the right track?

-Brian