Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

* Joey Hess:

> Simply obfuscating the name on the list of banned users (or not posting
> any names at all, only links to the posts that led to the ban) would
> eliminate most reputational damage. Ie, random searches for that
> person would not turn up a high pagerank debian.org page listing their
> youthful indiscretions.
>
> Using eg "J. Hess" would probably be fine in most cases.

I recommend to use a web page, and not announce bans on public mailing
lists because such announcements invite subsequent discussion, likely
decloaking the banned poster.

We could also add metatags/robots.txt exclusions to prevent indexing
of the page.