Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 10:46:41AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I think we should publish them, for several reasons:

I'm in favor of this.

There is clearly a trade-off between the interests of the individual
being banned and those of the community which suffers the consequences
of not knowing about bans, for the reasons you've mentioned. As the
community is the most important value of any volunteer project, and also
considering how conservative we are in banning people, I've no doubt
where to place the cue in that trade-off.

This is also why I do not think that disclosing bans to -private is good
enough. Non-DDs (or simply DDs who don't read every -private mail) would
have no way of knowing who is banned, and therefore might be tricked
into thinking that specific bad behavior patterns visible in the mailing
list archives have been tolerated.

Once the principle of disclosing ban is established, we should adopt
various clever communication techniques to minimize reputation damages
to the involved individuals. In that respect, both Joey's and Enrico's
suggestions in this thread seem very sane to me.

Thanks for raising this topic, Steve.
Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .