Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

]] Philip Hands

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:
> > Nobody has suggested removing the mirror network.  What's being
> > discussed is using a CDN for some .d.o services.
> That was certainly not clear from your original post.
> I certainly read you as suggesting that some services could be moved to
> third-party CDN(s), with an eye to moving ftp.debian.org there to, with
> the implication that the mirror network would then become mostly
> redundant.

«Become redundant» is not the same as being removed, though.  It would
initially be something we ran alongside the regular mirror network
(anything else would be crazy for what I think are obvious reasons).

If our experiences are then positive, we might want to stop relying on
the mirror network in say, d-i, but there's not central planning
committee shutting down any mirrors.

Local mirrors choose whether they want to carry Debian or not, and I
suspect many of them will want to use the resources for other things if
the usage falls below a threshold. Whether that actually happens or not
amounts to predicting the future, something I'm not going to try to do.

Does that make it clearer, or is it still confusing?

Tollef Fog Heen