Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

]] Philip Hands

> Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

> > Nobody has suggested removing the mirror network.  What's being
> > discussed is using a CDN for some .d.o services.
>
> That was certainly not clear from your original post.
>
> I certainly read you as suggesting that some services could be moved to
> third-party CDN(s), with an eye to moving ftp.debian.org there to, with
> the implication that the mirror network would then become mostly
> redundant.

«Become redundant» is not the same as being removed, though.  It would
initially be something we ran alongside the regular mirror network
(anything else would be crazy for what I think are obvious reasons).

If our experiences are then positive, we might want to stop relying on
the mirror network in say, d-i, but there's not central planning
committee shutting down any mirrors.

Local mirrors choose whether they want to carry Debian or not, and I
suspect many of them will want to use the resources for other things if
the usage falls below a threshold. Whether that actually happens or not
amounts to predicting the future, something I'm not going to try to do.

Does that make it clearer, or is it still confusing?

--
Tollef Fog Heen