Re: OpenPGP keysigning: alternate encodings for fingerprint exchange

On 06/28/2013 06:07 PM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> I forgot to mention the reason for these two suggestions. English is a
> rather bad candidate for use by non-native speakers, because it has a
> pronunciation that is not very deterministic, with letters that can have
> distinct pronunciation depending on the word.

Yeah. Let's do it in Chinese. Intonations are so much more fun...

There's about 552 basic sounds in Chinese, with 4 intonations each, that
makes it 2208 possibilities. So with very few Chinese words, we can
encode a lot of the bits of a PGP key. That would be so much more
efficient. :)

Seriously, I do agree. Some of the words I read at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_word_list, I didn't even know
them. I'm not sure learning that Aardvark is an animal, or that Algol is
a star is helpful in every day life, and I don't think it's worth
forcing that knowledge on non-english natives, just for the sake of
exchanging PGP fingerprints.

Thomas