Re: OpenPGP keysigning: alternate encodings for fingerprint exchange

On 06/28/2013 02:10 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think that hexadecimal is a fairly poor pre-encoding for information
> exchange via data to speech and speech to data engines (aka voice boxes,
> brains and fingers). Reading out and typing long strings of hexadecimal
> digits at OpenPGP keysignings is tedious and annoying.
>
> So I'm experimenting with alternate encodings (thoughts welcome):
>
> http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2013/06/28/openpgp-fingerprint-exchange/

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Though there is one feature which I would also very welcome in such a
project: a small checksum a the end of the phrase, so that we can make
sure that we got it right when writing a fingerprint that someone is
saying out loud. Adding 2 words for such a check would help to avoid
mistakes.

Cheers,

Thomas