Re: OpenPGP keysigning: alternate encodings for fingerprint exchange

Quoting Thomas Goirand (2013-06-29 18:23:14)
> On 06/28/2013 06:07 PM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
> > I forgot to mention the reason for these two suggestions. English is a
> > rather bad candidate for use by non-native speakers, because it has a
> > pronunciation that is not very deterministic, with letters that can have
> > distinct pronunciation depending on the word.
>
> Yeah. Let's do it in Chinese. Intonations are so much more fun...
>
> There's about 552 basic sounds in Chinese, with 4 intonations each,
> that makes it 2208 possibilities. So with very few Chinese words, we
> can encode a lot of the bits of a PGP key. That would be so much more
> efficient. :)

Fun! :-)

> Seriously, I do agree. Some of the words I read at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_word_list, I didn't even know
> them. I'm not sure learning that Aardvark is an animal, or that Algol
> is a star is helpful in every day life, and I don't think it's worth
> forcing that knowledge on non-english natives, just for the sake of
> exchanging PGP fingerprints.

You need not learn semantics to articulate understandably.

This reminds me related issue (or perhaps the same, I might simply have
misunderstood your point above, Tomas): How well do the various
wordlists take into account that some (pretty large) groups of
non-native english speakers have difficulty distinguishing between some
sounds clearly distinguishable for native english speakers - e.g. I
recall some consonants including "t" sounding the same to a japanese
ear.

 - Jonas