Re: Proposal #3: Upstream/Debian Project donations (was: PaySwarm-based donations)

On Wednesday, June 19, 2013 01:38:08 PM Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 12:35:36PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> > Sorry, I cannot look at this donations proposal but as a deep failure
> > waiting to happen.
>
> While I am warry, I don't think we should mock or block those wishing to
> build this system to help aid Debian.

While I agree with not mocking people, I'm not certain that this is a
guaranteed net win for the project and that blocking might (I say might) be
appropriate.

Personally, economic incentives have very little to do with why I work on
Debian.  Fundamentally, if I was here for the money, Debian couldn't afford me.
While I understand the desire to build up the economic system around FOSS so
that more people can afford to participate more, but there's also a risk that
if participation is monetized, those who aren't here for the money will be
demotivated.

Scott K