Re: Proposal #3: Upstream/Debian Project donations (was: PaySwarm-based donations)

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:45:49PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Personally, economic incentives have very little to do with why I work on
> Debian.  Fundamentally, if I was here for the money, Debian couldn't afford me.

Ditto, that's not the issue here - this wouldn't be funding
*developers*, it would be going to general support to run our machines,
or get us developers together, so we don't have to spend our personal
savings on such things.

Which I think would be a nice thing, JFTR.

I am against developers expecting to get paid, and yes, a 5 buck tip for
a 5 hour bugfix is hardly my going rate, I'd rather a "thank you", but
paying for my coffee is a nice gesture that I'd be happy to encourage.

> While I understand the desire to build up the economic system around FOSS so
> that more people can afford to participate more, but there's also a risk that
> if participation is monetized, those who aren't here for the money will be
> demotivated.

I quite agree with you.

> Scott K

Cheers,