Re: Delegations

On 04/05/13 at 23:35 +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> Hi Lucas,

Hi Moray,

Thanks for raising this issue.
An up-to-date list of delegations (and delegates) is indeed something
very useful.

> Please could you clarify what delegations are still in effect?
>
> These delegations are listed on
> http://www.debian.org/intro/organization :
>
> FTP masters [17 October 2012]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/10/msg00004.html
>
> Backports team [6 July 2011]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/07/msg00000.html
>
> Press team [21 March 2012]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/03/msg00011.html
>
> NM front desk [17 October 2012]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/10/msg00005.html
>
> Debian Account Managers [19 October 2010]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/10/msg00010.html
>
> Policy Editors [17 October 2012]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/10/msg00006.html
>
> Debian System Administration team [17 October 2012]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/10/msg00002.html
>
> Debian auditors [9 October 2010]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/10/msg00004.html
>
> DebConf chairs [9 March 2010]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/03/msg00005.html

TTBOMK, all those delegations are in effect.

This page should be improved by listing which of the team members are
delegates, e.g. by adding " (delegate)" next to those members.

There's a known bug: the delegated auditors are tbm and luk, while the
active auditors (according to the unix group) are tbm and maxx.

> But I think there are some more that aren't on that page.  I would
> like to update it, but before doing that would like to get an
> authoritative response on which are ongoing.
>
> This one I suspect is just missing:
>
> Keyring maintenance
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2008/05/msg00006.html

Right. Also, it seems that:
- Gunnar Wolf is not officially a delegate
- James Troup is an inactive delegate (officially a delegate, but not
  in the keyring unix group)

> While this one lacks a proper delegation message to point to:
>
> Debian Maintainer keyring
> http://www.debian.org/vote/2007/vote_003
> + http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/11/msg00005.html

In the original implementation of DM, the DM keyring was maintained
separately from the Debian keyring. If I got things right, this changed
and the current roles are:
- Anibal Monsalve Salazar handles the administrative work through the
  debian-maintainers BTS pseudo-package
- Keyring maintainers apply the changes
So it seems that the original "job description" is no longer accurate.
Also, AFAIK, Anthony Towns and Joey Hess are no longer active as DM
keyring maintainers.

> A delegation has also been made for this year's GSoC:
>
> GSoC 2013
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2013/02/msg00006.html

Yes, this one should be added.

> Meanwhile, the Debian Organisational Structure page linked above
> lists a Secretary "delegation", but by our constitution I think that
> should be corrected to "appointment", and *shouldn't* appear in a
> list of delegations:
>
> Secretary [not really a delegation, though listed as one]
> http://lists.debian.org/20130208193756.GA30999@upsilon.cc

ACK

> There are some other old delegations that may be dead by now, e.g.:
>
> In-kind donations
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/07/msg00000.html

Yes, AFAIK this one should be revoked.

You wrote "e.g.", do you know of other such possibly-dead delegations?

> Lucas, please could you reply with a list of what you believe are
> current delegations?  If there are cases where you're not sure, or
> if you're worried you're missing things, I suggest giving an interim
> list while announcing a deadline for people to respond with any more
> that they wish to keep active, then letting any other old
> delegations automatically expire at the deadline.

Yes, I'll do that once the web page is updated, so that I can simply use
the page as input for an up-to-date list of delegates.

So, to summarize, list of actions in that area (I added them to my TODO
list, but I would very much appreciate it if someone worked on them):
- improve organization page to add info about delegates.
- check status of auditors (already in progress)
- clarify/update keyring delegation, and interactions with DM
- add GSOC
- fix listing of secretary
- organize auto-revocation of unknown/unlisted delegations (the
  "in-kind donations" one could be revoked by that process)

Additionally, I need to do the bits.d.o delegation, and check the status
on a possible addition to policy editors.

Lucas