Re: Dealing with ITS abuse

Chris Knadle <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> writes:
> On Thursday, April 11, 2013 23:49:18, Filipus Klutiero wrote:

>> In absolute terms, contacting owner@bugs.debian.org is not a good way
>> of dealing with any problem, as owner@bugs.debian.org is - as indicated
>> in https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/11/msg00030.html - a
>> private email alias, with little chance of solving the issue. If that
>> doesn't work, you can escalate the issue to project leadership as a
>> last resort... but you'll also hit a private email alias there.

> Emailing anyone privately leads down the path of "privatization".  [I've
> already been down this road.]  As such I think it might be better to
> publicly CC leadership, to invite public comment rather than private
> conversation, because private conversation cannot address the public
> problem.

I think both of you have a very strange understanding of how human
psychology works if you think public callouts are the best first step in
dealing with inappropriate behavior.  I also wonder what places you've
worked in and what sorts of management interactions you've had if you
don't believe private conversation can ever address public problems.

> What I really want in this "game" is a "penalty flag: unnecessary
> roughness" called by the referee so that there can be a /measured
> response/ to the problem.  Right now Debian doesn't seem to have penalty
> flags or even a referee, and instead the roughness has to be bad enough
> that the linesmen step in and eject the player for all time.

This is not true.

However, Debian doesn't have a habit (for all the psychological reasons I
mention above) of creating a public wall of shame to record places where
people have been given a "penalty flag."  If you weren't involved in the
issue, you probably didn't hear about it, and IMO that's how it should be.

This is a volunteer project, so there's some limit to what effective
sanction the project has available to it, and it doesn't always work.  But
the same is true in every workplace I've been in, even though a manager in
an employer-employee relationship has many more effective sanctions
available.