Re: Dealing with ITS abuse

Hi Chris,
On Saturday, April 06, 2013 19:55:08, Filipus Klutiero wrote:
>  Hi Chris,
>  thanks for being faithful to our project and bringing up this topic :-S
>
>  Chris Knadle wrote:
>  >    From the point of view of the bug reporter, the message the DD has sent
>  >  (whether intended or not) is "I'm not even going to dignify this with a
>  >  response.  *click* "  It's not /only/ this rudeness that's the problem,
>  >  though; the bug reporter has now been handed a puzzle of "convice the
>  >  expert", where the expert needed to be convicned seemingly isn't willing
>  >  to spend any effort in communicating, but the bug reporter does.  This
>  >  kind of thing therefore promotes either conflict or the bug reporter
>  >  walking away in disgust, /either/ result of which is detrimental.  I
>  >  thus personally consider this to be the first step into "the path of the
>  >  Dark Side".
>  >
>  >  If we could come up with a reasonable way of handling this particular
>  >  problem, it would be greatly appreciated.  Do you think emailing
>  >  owner@bugs.d.o is a good way of dealing with this?
>
>  It's not a /good/ way in absolute terms, but it's pretty much the only
>  way for now, so I guess it's currently the best way (see
>  https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/11/msg00030.html  ).

Uh...  I don't understand.  The above suggestions avoiding private email
aliases; I'm not sure I understand where this fits the "rudeness issues" I've
had in the BTS -- the bug reports where it happened are public.

Maybe you can give me a better idea what you're trying to refer to.  ;-)

I'm not sure I understand what you're not sure to understand... but I'll try to rephrase.

You were asking whether contacting owner@bugs.debian.org is a good way of dealing with ITS abuse. Officially, reporting such abuse currently has to be done that way. As there is a single way, it's (relatively) as much a good way of dealing with problems as a bad way.

In absolute terms, contacting owner@bugs.debian.org is not a good way of dealing with any problem, as owner@bugs.debian.org is - as indicated in https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/11/msg00030.html - a private email alias, with little chance of solving the issue. If that doesn't work, you can escalate the issue to project leadership as a last resort... but you'll also hit a private email alias there.

I entirely agree that the solution should be public, but that doesn't mean there will be a public solution. Having any solution would already be more than I expect.

Have faith, and you may succeed.