Re: Claiming the "debian" account on GitHub ? [and 1 more messages]

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > So I think Charles came to entirely the right conclusion.  I wish we
> > could have had longer to talk about this but I guess it's done now.

> Well, Charles' suggestion of pointing to the wikipedia page that list
> alternatives instead of singling out some was good, IMO. I wish he had
> proposed that _before_ closing down the account. But no worries,
> Yaroslav has picked it up and is implementing precisely that.

Closed-source technologies biting us back right away ;-)

* github refused me to create README repository (probably still has
  knowledge about its past existence).  To not delay this issue I have
  initiated

  https://github.com/Debian/README.Debian

  and pushed current state of the README.md

* If we start using this organization as intended (i.e. placing our
  clones for maintained software), since the listing of the
  repositories get sorted by recency, README.Debian will sink to the
  bottom thus killing its visibility and thus its intended purpose

* there is no way to provide an extended description to be visible on
  the organization page, where we could possibly place the content of
  README.md

  I have sent an "email" via GitHub's Contact link asking for such a
  feature and will let you know if/when I hear back.

* I thought about placing such README.md into our wiki.d.o and placing a
  link into Location field (it would be silly to remove
  http://www.debian.org link) but it would stay as text and doesn't become
  a hyperlink

* on a 2nd thought I am not sure if this organization would be
  actually used much anyways.  It is much easier for people just to keep
  their clones of public repositories on github in their personal accounts
  on github.  So, we might adjust README.md later on removing listing of
  such a purpose and just keeping this GitHub organization just for the
  sake of placeholder/pointer to Debian project.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow,   Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences