Re: Claiming the "debian" account on GitHub ? (was: Re: Packaging on GitHub ?)

On Thu, June 14, 2012 16:56, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 09:31:39AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>> I have not added links to their competitors, as I think that it would
>> be bad taste, but yes, I invite every developer to consider Free
>> alternatives such as Gitorious or Branchable.
>
> To be blunt, I think that our advocacy for software freedoms is more
> important than good taste.

I'm surprised by this dichotomy. It seems perfectly well possible to both
operate in good taste and advocate software freedoms.

> Given how you worded the README (i.e. along
> the lines of "some of the software we work with is already on
> GitHub..."), it would be entirely appropriate to recommend favoring
> Gitorious, Branchable or similar services over GitHub.

I find this indeed not in good taste. We are using their service, for
free. We have many platforms of our own we can use for such advocacy. The
current proposal, that we make it clear that usage does not constitute
endorsement, makes the situation perfectly clear to anyone without using
the free resources we've been given by them to promote their competitors.

Cheers,
Thijs

p.s. I just bought some groceries and the supermarket didn't publish the
source code to their cash register, so I may be biased towards non-free
services.