Re: ditching the official use logo?

On Mon, October 8, 2012 16:52, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> Right now, the way I understand it is that you can, in a DFSG and legal
> way, create a document with the Debian logo & brand, and create a
> "certificate" that looks to be from Debian, and sell them as some sort
> of certification from Debian without recourse from the Debian project.

This is possible whether the official use logo exists or not: right now
anyone can create a certificate with the open use logo, which is what
everyone and their dog recognises as "the Debian logo".

The current open use licence does not allow you to misrepresent yourself
as being Debian. The Cc license summary even mentions prominently that it
you may not use it to claim endorsement by Debian:

I find it therefore doubtful that keeping the bottle logo solves any real
world problem.

Cheers,
Thijs