Re: ditching the official use logo?

On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 10:55:56PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 09:04:12AM -0400, David Prévot a écrit :
> > >
> > > I don't object against ditching the logo with the bottle.  I don't object
> > > against keeping it around either.  Maybe if people want to keep it around for
> > > nostalgic reasons it can be kept available on the website as the "former
> > > official logo" with a nice story about its history or so.
> >
> > The www.d.o website use to keep online “archive” content, so I guess it
> > would be fine, but I'm not thrilled by the idea to keep non-free content
> > online inside our official website, maybe other people will have more
> > comments. About the “nice story about its history”, proposals will be
> > welcome ;).
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> I think it would be good to discontinue the "Debian Official Use Logo" if we
> agree that it is causing more problems than it solves.  To avoid keeping
> non-free material in the current website, maybe it can point instead to the CVS
> archive?  Then the official logo can be mentionned very briefly, for instance.

So, I'm going to try to be the lone voice of dissent here.

I think the very non-free logo serves to solve a very careful problem,
which is to allow for officiating "exernal" things.

Right now, the way I understand it is that you can, in a DFSG and legal
way, create a document with the Debian logo & brand, and create a
"certificate" that looks to be from Debian, and sell them as some sort
of certification from Debian without recourse from the Debian project.

I know this is a borderline slimy argument, and I really (REALLY) don't
like being on the side of non-free, but I think continuing to assert
copyright / non-free conditions on the official use logo won't really
cause much more harm.

It's not like it's in the archive (correct me if I'm wrong, and if so,
we should fix that), or commonly "violated" anyways (whereas the old
logo was)

Stuff like DD certificiates (I think they already have this, but I've
not seen one for a long long times), or other "official" documentes
should carry the official logo, so their reproduction and modification
is not legal.